Saturday, July 17, 2010

Kitties and sump pumps

Last Sunday, a cat followed my daughter home from a friend's house. Since this is the daughter who can't even pass the stuffed animal sections at stores without knowing that they are all begging her to rescue them, the cat was brilliant to pick her. Since then, our daughter who loves to take care of things more than anyone I know, has adopted "Sunday" as her own. And I have to admit, the kitty is pretty cute. She's very nice and gentle. Her back feet have been declawed and she is clean like a house cat would be. She lives under our deck and on our front porch. So it seems the Shuman family has a kitty---at least for the time being.

We got the news yesterday that we need a whole new front door. We've lived here ten years and the front of our house faces the weather, so our uncovered entry gets a lot of abuse. The steel door is fine, it's the wood frame that has rotted. So we have to get a whole new set...it's only going to cost a few thousand dollars. This on top of the new sump system we need for the basement is pretty much going to wipe out our savings. But as Rog says, at least we have savings. I asked him to give me a few hours to arrive at that point mentally. :-)

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I actually kind of hate it when my husband gets all glass-half-full and practical at me when I'm trying to throw a fit about something!

When I saw the title of your post and started reading, I thought the story was going to end with the kitty falling into the sump's well. Whew! Glad that didn't happen!

Monica said...

Ugh. We are feeling the home repairs this summer too. There must be something about hitting the 10 years mark. Sadly I don't think it's going to be getting better from here.