Monday, August 10, 2009

I want to be a mommy!

Ten-year-old: I just want to be a mom so bad. That's why I don't want Jesus to come back until then.

Me: What do you love about the idea of being a mom?

10-year-old, with passion: I just want to tell them about my childhood, I want to go trick-or-treating with them, I want to buy them birthday presents, I want to go with them to get their ears pierced, I want to teach them, I want to take them different places, I want to take them out to eat, I want to teach them to ride a bike, I want to do their hair and nails.

Me: What if you have all boys?

10-year-old: That's OK, I want to have a girl AND a boy. I want to watch them go off diving boards, I want to help them decide what they want to be, to help them pick out what they are interested in. I can't wait to get my own house and paint their rooms and get accessories for them and I want to pick out the names for my kids and I want to walk them to the bus stop, even when they are teenagers. There's SOOO many things I want to do with them. I want to bring them to your house at Christmas. I want them to have friends, and have sleepovers, and go places with their friends, I want to teach them about nature, I want to take them to get their hair cut, I want to teach them to read, to be there when they lose their first tooth. It just seems so fun. I want to be there when they move from the nursery at church to their first Sunday School class. I want to take care of them. I want to bring them over to your house so I can have special dates with my husband. Oh Mommy, there's just SOOO many things I want to do!

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I can remember thinking like this about age 10

Steve Martin said...

That your little girl speaks like that says volumes about the great chikdhood your daughter has and the kind of mom that you are.

Just awesome!

Oklahoma Granny said...

This is an incredible post. What I read into it is that your daughter has such a wonderful home life and parents that she wants to share the same types of things with her future children. She's very lucky to have such wonderful parents.

Hunnybee said...

Ditto what Steve said. This is so sweet. I think this should definitely be one of those posts that you print out and stick in her baby book or someplace special so she can have it. What a sweet heart!